Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea
Thanks to Dana Clover's blog Craving Comfort  I finally learned how to make Sweet Tea, a beverage I've heard Southerners talk so much about.  She says the secret ingredient is baking soda!  I learned it reduces the acidity of the tea.

I  keep different types of tea bags on hand, including decaffeinated and/or flavored, and make a half gallon kept cool in the refrigerator to enjoy anytime or with meals. 


Sweet Tea is healthier (depending on the amount of sugar used) and less expensive to drink than soda. And to save calories, artificial sweeteners work well in it.  I use Splenda.


I also discovered a product called True Lemon, which is a box of individual lemon crystals packets that can added to hot or cold beverages.  Each packet is equal to one lemon wedge. 

Photobucket
They're very handy and can be carried in your purse to use at work or in restaurant water.  The product comes in several flavors which I haven't tried yet, but I like the taste of lemon in iced tea.

Sweet Tea
6  regular tea bags of choice 
2 cups boiling water
6 cups cool water
3/4 -1 cup sugar or Splenda 
1/4 teaspoon - baking soda 


|Sprinkle baking soda into a half gallon container
.  Add tea bags and pour 2 cups of boiling water over tea bags. Cover and allow to steep for 15 minutes.  Remove and toss out tea bags. 


Add sugar stirring until completely dissolved. 
Add 6 cups of cool water. Refrigerate until cold and ready to drink.


Estimated cost:  Under a $1.00 for a half gallon.

No comments:

Post a Comment