Antipasto Pasta Salad

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
This has been my "must bring" pasta salad for family gathering in recent years, especially on the 4th of July. 

You can put just about anything in but the kitchen sink, as it's a great way to use up veggies in the fridge.  A friend gave me this antipasto recipe several 
years ago, and I've tweaked it for our family taste buds.


The recipe can easily be cut down for fewer servings. I like to have it on hand especially in the summer as a side for BLTs, hamburgers or hot dogs.


The full recipe provides about 20 - 24 servings, so a very large bowl or roasting pan is needed to make in and mix it.  I've used disposable roasting pans when bringing to large gatherings.  It easily feeds 10 of us for two days over a two-day 4th of July gathering.


What I like about the recipe are so many Italian tasting flavors, and that a variety of pasta shapes can be used, but if one or two ingredients are left out or substituted, you can hardly tell the difference.  


I don't always have red peppers on hand, and been known to toss in some broccoli, artichoke hearts or shredded carrots.  I've never made it exactly the same way twice, so feel free to adapt for your own taste or with what's on hand in your fridge.


Antipasto Pasta Salad
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App1 lb. cooked pasta, any kind of shaped pasta noodle
2 cups shredded cheddar
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1  cup diced dill pickles, or pickle relish
cup diced pepperoni or hard salami
1  cup  diced onions
1/2 can sliced black olives
1 cup sliced green olives
1 cup chopped celery
1 chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
1/2 cup diced marinated sundried tomatoes; or substitute with salsa)
2 Tabs. minced garlic

Dressing
1 cup of mayonnaise
1/2 cup Italian dressing
2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
1/2 tsp. celery salt
3 tsps. dry Italian herbs or to taste, fresh is even better but use more than 3 tsps.
Mix well, pour over and mix into pasta salad.

Chill in refrigerator for flavors to blend.  Makes about 20 cups.


Estimated cost: $8.00or less; .40 cents a serving or less.

1 comment:

  1. Yup, it's confirmed. The Vietnamese gubberment is now blocking all blahblah.blogspot addresses - go figure. But I was able to get in here of course, via my ultrasurf proxy.

    My own TravelnLass blog is likewise hosted on blogger, but I have my own travelnlass.com domain that merely points to the true blogger address so it isn't affected.

    ReplyDelete