Sweet and Sour Cucumber Salad

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Another sweet and sour recipe my grandmother made, as did my husband's mother, so I make a batch once a month, sometimes cutting it in half for the two us us.  

I've been making this for over 40 years and never tire of it.  It makes a nice side dish with any meal, keeps well in the fridge, and handy to have around. Garden Cukes or English Cukes can be used.


And anytime you have a cuke needing use before going to waste, this recipe can be quickly made.

It's an attractive dish for potlucks or a buffet table at little cost.

Sweet and Sour Cucumber Salad
3 peeled cucumbers sliced thin, about 4 cups
1 medium, thinly sliced onion
2/3 cup cider vinegar, white vinegar also works well
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream or mayonnaise
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App1/4 cup parsley flakes
1 tsp. dry mustard

I stripe-peel my cukes lengthwise to leave some color on, and slice with a madoline for even-sized slices. Toss sliced cucumbers and onions in a large bowl.

In another mixing bowl, make the sauce by blending remaining ingredients, then pour over cucumbers and onions.  Mix and toss well to coat.  Chill and marinate at least an hour.

Can be served as is or on a small bed of lettuce.  If making a large green salad and I have this on hand, I add some to garnish the salad.

Serves 8 to 12.
Estimated cost $1.50 or less; .20 cents a serving or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment