Chicken and Dumplings

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Thanks to Brandie's blog, The Country Cook for inspiring me to make chicken and dumplings the old-fashioned way I remember eating them as a child.  I discovered her recipe on Pinterest and recently made it to the delight of my husband.

I frequently make 
potato dumplings, spaetzles and a Bohemian dumpling that use eggs, which I've posted, but never this type with baking powder and rolled out dough.


Pot pies, or chicken
ala king are great dishes for using leftover chicken, and now this recipe has been added to my favorites for great comfort food at little cost.


I added onions and veggies like I do for pot pies or ala king, but it really was the great dumplings I was eager to try, and so glad I did.  It can be made anytime if you have a few chicken breasts on hand;  just season, saute or poach then shred for this recipe.


Chicken and Dumplings
3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
2 quarts chicken broth
1 cup of frozen mix veggies, like peas and carrots
1/2 cup diced onion
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 Tabs. butter, cubed
milk (a little less than a cupful)

Bring chicken broth to a boil. Add shredded chicken and stir, then add veggies to simmer.  Meanwhile make dumplings. In a bowl mix baking powder and flour, cut in butter with a fork, your hands, or pastry cutter, then add milk stirring to form dough.

Turn dough onto well  floured counter, and roll out to 1/4-inch thickness, adding more flour to prevent sticking. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut into 1-inch squares.

Bring broth up to a slow boil again and begin adding dumplings one at a time so they don't all stick together. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir frequently while adding them. The extra flour on dumplings will help thicken the broth as dumplings cook.  Taste for "doneness." Dumplings should not taste doughy, but rather more like a noodle.  Serves at least 6-8.

Estimated cost: $4.80 or less; .80 cents a serving or less.

3 comments:

  1. Omg this Recipe sounds like my Auntie's That lived in the Country I simply Love them I'm going to use this recipe Thank you 🥰💕

    ReplyDelete
  2. While sunflower oil provide Omega 3 and Omega 6 which are essential fatty acids for a healthy skin. This wholesale cat food is designed to meet the nutritional values that are set and leaves your cat full. wholesale mid joint wings

    ReplyDelete