Savory Liver and Onions

Never ever liked liver growing up, but family lore demanded you had to eat it once a month, or so I was told,  for "iron."  


After marrying, I discovered my husband loved liver and onions, often ordering it in restaurants if on the menu when we ate out or were traveling.

Finally found this recipe which we both enjoy.  I serve it a few times a year which he considers a "treat." 
  
The sauce has a distinctive taste that compliments the meat and goes well with a side of dumplings, egg noodles or biscuits for "sopping up" the gravy.  


Beef liver is a very inexpensive beef dish. I know "beef liver" is not on everyone's "must buy" grocery lists, but I could actually get my kids to eat this dish while younger.


Savory Liver and Onions
1 pound beef liver
1 onion sliced
1 Tab. butter
3/4 tsp. each salt and pepper
3 Tabs. vinegar
2 1/2 cups beef broth
2 Tabs. flour
2 or more tablespoons of parsley flakes

In a skillet, cook onion in butter until tender, but not brown.  Remove onion and add 4 slices of lightly floured liver. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook over medium heat about 3 minutes on each side.  Return onion.

Mix flour with broth by putting some broth into flour to make a smooth paste, then slowly blend in the rest of the broth; add vinegar and parsley.  Stir well to blend, then pour over liver and onions.  Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until sauce thickens.  Serve with dumplings, spaetzles, egg noodles or biscuits.
Serves 4.

Estimated cost for liver: $3 a pound or less.


1 comment:

  1. Your pics are outstanding! Shoot, you can even make liver look good. ;)

    But seriously, having been raised with the same "for iron" mantra, I too enjoy liver and onions quite often. I especially like your notion of the sauce and dumplins/spaetzels, etc.

    Then again... not sure I'm adventuresome/crazy enough to try to buy/cook "liver" here in Saigon (i.e. just WHAT liver might be hard to tell!)

    ReplyDelete